School is winding down. The weather is getting nicer, the attention spans are getting shorter, and the time for social media is nearly non-existent.
But you’ve had a great year – and the kids have learned & grown so much! So what can you do to integrate social media into showcasing that? Here are 5 ideas:
- Video clips – Have each student answer this question “What are you most proud of learning this year?” They might answer reading a chapter book for the first time, passing their multiplication timed test, or creating their first PowerPoint presentation. Just grab that Smartphone and capture a 10 second video. This includes older students too! Maybe they enjoyed dissecting that frog in biology class or rebuilding that car engine in shop.
- Student Memories – Have kids write a short story of their best memory from the school year. This could be handwritten or typed. Taking a photo of the handwritten stories from the younger kids is an easy way to upload them onto Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Plus your audience will enjoy the penmanship and spelling of these developing writers.
- Create a music video – Use photos taken from throughout the year. It will be a fun way to enjoy the highlights and reflect on what a truly memorable year it has been. From the apple orchard field trip to the Christmas concert to simply reading in class, the video will be there for years to come. Upload the video onto your YouTube channel and then share the link on all of your social media channels. Click here for an example from a Valentine’s dance. This was made with Microfsoft’s Movie Maker, but Apple’s iMovie is also easy to use for you Mac users!
- Teacher reflections – Have each teacher write or video tape just a short recap of the students and what they were amazed at. I hear many teachers say some of the most rewarding part of their job is just watching those eyes light up when a student really “gets it” for the first time – whether that is reading their first book, playing a musical instrument, or figuring out how to add fractions.
- Class Selfie – Have every grade level take a group selfie the last day of school. If your class is too big, break into smaller groups or grab that selfie stick! By making this a tradition for the first and last day of each school year, you will have a time capsule of photos to physically see the growth of the students. Imagine starting this tradition in Kindergarten and continuing through their senior year. What a fun addition to that senior slide show.
What ideas do you have? Comment below – we’d love to hear them! And if you use any of the ideas above at your school – use #SocialSchool4EDU so we can see the post. We love sparking the ideas to celebrate our amazing students and their dedicated teachers!