So you have your school’s social media channels up and running, but how do you grab more followers? I mean, people aren’t seeing or hearing your message if they aren’t liking or following you…
Here is a quick list to help grow that audience. Don’t worry about doing them all – just start with one or two things!
- Add the social media icons and links to all staff e-mail signatures.
- Promote links on your school website – right at the top.
- Fill the hallways with posters.
- Include the channels with QR codes in the athletic and music programs.
- Add a large poster next to the scoreboard in the gym.
- Send out posters to local businesses for help in getting the word out.
- Encourage students and staff to follow your school pages during the morning announcements over the loud speaker.
- Share a recent post that reached thousands with the local newspaper – it could be first page worthy and encourage more followers.
- Ask current followers to share the page with others on their profile page.
- Is there a radio station that supports the school? Have them share the account URLs on air!
- Have a school-wide contest where students help promote the channels with friends, neighbors, and relatives. If the school adds 100 more Twitter followers or Facebook fans, a simple reward like a pajama day could be given to the whole school.
- Make sure you are using your customized hashtag, and include that on clothing items, bracelets, headbands, and more.
- Send a special note home to all parents inviting them in.
- Make it a special part of every open house, parent-teacher conference, and other community events at the school. The more you talk about it, the better.
- Have a contest. Those who comment and share a certain post get entered in for a $25 Amazon gift card. People LOVE the chance to win!
- Still sending out a newsletter? Make sure to promote the idea that up-to-date information is always available on your social media channels.
Have more ideas on how your school has promoted your channels? Share them with us below!